Thursday 5 February 2009

The internet is for wasting time

This is all rather new, and silly. I'm not too up to date with the whole web culture, as it were. Shocking so it is, considering I spend the great majority of my time on it.

First and foremost - I am hopping on the bandwagon so late as to almost obsolete my presence in the so-called 'blogoshpere' - a term so vapid that it was agony pressing the keys in order to form it. This whole phenomenon has brought about an insidious revolution whereby know-nothing individuals can protrude a half-baked philosophy on pretty much anything they can get their sweaty hands upon into the arena of the popular conscience. I have been bombarded by erroneous, inflated, and downright boring text in my attempts to enjoy the fruits of this invention; and while it is true that there are fruits - sweet and wholesome, filled with literary juices - they are few and far between and it makes the struggle all the more frustrating.

So, with this in mind I have challenged myself to create something of interest to both myself and potential readers - some degree of light in this dark and sometimes thrilling web of filthy brains, spewing their collective nonsense all over their keyboards. Enough talk about poetry, Coldplay, and the shallow artworks of a seventeen year old Evanescence listeners - more talk about current affairs, and how to mend one's jeans.

Perhaps, I appear over zealous, or needlessly bitter, or worse still, perhaps both of these are true. In any case, there is a great deal to be said that remains unsaid, a fair bit of reality checking required, and moreover, a few sacred cows that need tipping. That said, I am not one for needless resentment or unnecessary cynicism; there is a time and a place for optimism, and there is a time and a place for realism. I am of the view that both can co-exsist harmoniously within one group of intelligent, mature people - and further, that it is required for sustained, interesting debate.

Rob. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment